We had a fantastic and wide-ranging discussion with an astounding panel of local leaders Wednesday. We talked about the multiple crises simultaneously facing La Mesa, San Diego, the state, country and world. We discussed the arrest of a young man last week at the Grossmont Trolley station, with allegations of police abuse. We talked about demonstrations Saturday which led to rioting and a woman being shot in the face by police — thankfully, she is reportedly recovering. We also talked about the state of the 2020 elections on all levels, economic inequity, police abuse, and more.
- Assembly Member Shirley Weber
- La Mesa Council Member Akilah Weber
- Congresswoman Susan Davis.
- Carl Luna, a University of San Diego professor and political analyst.
- San Diego Supervisor Nathan Fletcher, who has taken a leadership role on the county board during the pandemic despite being the only Democrat.
- Georgette Gomez, president of the San Diego City Council, as well as a candidate for Davis’s 53 Congressional District.
- Sara Jacobs, who is opposing Gomez for that seat.
- And our own Chris Pearson, VP for Political Action, who will talk about the important downballot seats seeking Democratic candidates.
- Watch the video here:
And mark your calendars for our next meeting, Wednesday, July 1, 6:30 pm. We hope to be able to meet in person then, for some form of our annual Party in the Park at Harry Griffen Park, though health and public safety will drive that decision. Either way – in the park, on Zoom or elsewhere – well see you there and then.
Social Media and Communications
La Mesa-Foothills Democratic Club